2014-02-27

PLEASE READ AND GIVE THANKS ON FRIDAY...


THIS NEEDS TO BE SAID SO YOU ALL KNOW WHO WE ALL OWE A MAJOR AMOUNT OF THANKS TO FOR THE GYM, COMMUNITY & FAMILY THAT IS CROSSFIT HYDRO...

My mother, Rhonda VanBeek, first introduced me to lifting at the age of 8 believe it or not... Yeah, it was bis and tris and chest and back, but it was still lifting 

She was always there for basketball tourneys, football games, etc and has been an unwaivering supporter of me and my pursuits my entire life...

I wouldn't be who I am today without her...

Our gym wouldn't be what it is today without her...

My sometimes odd and random sense of humor and work ethic and drive are all from my mother... She has worked many blue collar, manual labor jobs to support me and my sister and our family...

When I first moved to Omaha she was the one that called all the time and came down to make sure I was ok since I moved from a town of just 1000 people and had no one at all to turn to in the area...

When I had this crazy idea of trying to start my own Crossfit gym after we had been booted out of UNOs weight room she backed me without hesitation and put up the majority of the money to buy our first order of equipment and rent out the space to put it in WITHOUT having to take out ANY BANK loans...

We were self-sustaining after the first two weeks...

I haven't always been the best son, especially since I moved to Omaha and am not a good 2+ hours away from her and I now regret this fact in retrospect... I should have called more and kept in contract more often with the woman that had done SO MUCH to show me the path to success and give me little nudges along the way...

My mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer years ago and successful completed an extensive batch of chemo and heroically fought it off to extend her life for several more years...

A few months ago what I had suspected would happen, did happen... The cancer has returned and has aggressively spread... My mom has choosen not to pursue further treatment and while I wish she would reconsider I love her and respect what she wants to do...

We do not know how much time she has left, but we do know it's going to be measured in weeks to hopefully months... I hope to have her there on Friday night for the Open workout so please try to make it in and show her what she helped to create two years ago...

Please show her the kind of caring and love that she has shown me and I've tried to show towards all of you who go out of your way to come to our gym and work your asses off to better yourselves and stay healthy instead of staying home on the couch...

Keep hoping for the best and keep my mom in your thoughts... Love you, guys!
Like ·  · 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

My thoughts and prayers to you and your mom.

Anonymous said...

Kady- I appreciate you sharing your story Justin! You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers!! Lots of love and hugs to you all!! I can't wait to meet your beautiful strong willed mom tomorrow!!! :)

Kevin said...

You are lucky to have such a supportive mother, thank-you for sharing. Please let me know if there is anything you need.

Carla Vice said...

Lisa and I are standing in the gap for her complete healing from the top of her head to the bottom of her toes, with Jesus's stripes of blood breathing new life into every cell in her body! You are carrying on her strength and courage to motivate and push you where you needed to be and live your passion! You are living it! We are ever grateful! Thank you for letting us know, I WILL BE THERE TOMORROW!

Barb said...

Peace and Love Justin