Great Article on How Your Sensitivity to Insulin Will Govern The Level Of Carbs Your Should Have in Your Diet...
AN ATTEMPT AT A BRIEF SUMMARY... Your Can Read The Whole Article HERE
Insulin has been vilified as the enemy recently and while this is partially true this hormone can play a positive role in your attempts and fat loss and muscle gain...
Here's the thing... If you're already sedentary, overweight then YES cutting carb levels down is the way you need to go in order to start cutting fat down. The rational for this is that you probably already are insulin resistant which makes any insulin release hard for your body to deal with... However, if your are leaner then your are probably insulin SENSITIVE and use carbs more effectively and as a result can have more in your diet without an issue... So the goal if you are NOT sensitive to carbs is to work towards making your body more sensitive to this hormone so it benefits your the most when it come to body fat loss and muscle building...
1. CUT OUT FRUCTOSE
- Exceedingly high levels of fructose in your diet is contributing to your insulin resistance
- In animal species, fructose has caused higher insulin responses, higher triglyceride levels, and high blood pressure
- Practical approaches... Cut out High Fructose Corn Syrup (It's in a lot of things your wouldn't suspect so look at the label), fructose sweeteners, refined sugar, fruit juices, dried fruit and LIMIT YOUR CONSUMPTION OF FRUIT TO 1-2 WHOLE PIECES PER DAY (Preferably in the morning or post-workout only!)
2. CUT OUT TRANS FATS (ANY ARTIFICIAL MAN-MADE FATS)
- Trans fats inhibit glucose disposal, PROMOTE INSULIN RESISTANCE, and increase abdominal obesity
- Cut out all trans fats and anything that has partially or fully HYDROGENATED oils printed on the label
3. IMPROVE YOUR OMEGA 6:3 BALANCE
- Increase the level of Omega 3's in your diet by eating WILD fish at least once a week, grass fed beef, and supplement with omega 3 fish oils
- Attempt to decrease your consumption of Omega-6 vegetable oils like corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, and fried foods
4. DRINK GREEN TEA
- Green tea helps with getting rid of the glucose more effectively in your blood and stimulates it to be taken up by muscle for quicker burning later compared to it being stored as fat reserves which are harder to get to
- Cinnamon has been shown to increase glucose usage by cells and stimulates it to be sent to muscle instead of fat cells
>25% Body Fat Or Higher - LOW CARB DIETS
12-25% - "EARN YOUR CARBS" - .75-1.0 grams per POUND of body weight with these carbs put at two distinct times... 1. Breakfast and 2. Post-Workout
<12% - 1-2 grams of carbs per POUND of body weight spread evenly throughout the day